LIST OF COUNTRIES WHICH HAVE LEGALIZED SAME SEX MARRIAGE
Facebook, twitter, Instagram all turned colorful in celebration of the federal marriage equality across the world. After USA gave green signal to Gay marriage on June 26th, 2015, many homophobes disapproved with this legal right. Many non supporters’ threatened to leave the United States to move to some other country. Some people were so disappointed with this new declaration that they openly shared their disapproval on social media; some said they would shift to Canada.
As a disappointment to these people, here is a list of some countries which already support’s legal gay marriages. So unfortunately, not many places are left suitable for such people as same sex marriage is quite legal in many countries across the globe.
LIST OF COUNTRIES WHICH HAVE LEGALIZED SAME SEX MARRIAGE:
- NETHERLANDS: The pioneer country which was the first in the world to legalize same sex marriage. The provision has been legal here since April 1st ,2001.With acceptance towards LGBT communities and by recognizing many legal rights for them, The Netherlands has become one of the most socially liberal countries in the world.
- SPAIN: In 2004, a campaign led by Prime Minister Jose Luis Rodriguez Zapatero demanded Gay-marriage Legalization. After much debate the law was recognized on July 3rd ,2005.Spain became the third country to legalize same sex marriage after the Netherlands and Belgium.
- CANADA: The first country outside Europe to legalize same sex marriage nationwide.The Civil Marriage Act ensured a gender- neutral marriage definition. The nationwide provision came into force on July 2nd ,2005. Canada was the fourth in the world to legalize same sex marriage.
- SOUTH AFRICA: The first in Africa and the fifth country in the world to legalize same sex marriage. In November 2006, the National Assembly passed a low allowing same sex couple to legally marry, subsequently was sanctioned by the National Council of provinces. Same sex marriage became legal after the Civil Union Act got enacted on November 30th ,2006.South Africa is the second country outside Europe which gave this provision.
- NORWAY: The first Scandinavian country and the sixth country in the world to legalize same sex marriage.After the approval of gender neutral marriage bill passed by the Norwegian legislature in June 2008 , Norway recognized same sex marriage on January 1st ,2009.
- SWEDEN: The Swedish parliament accepted the gender neutral law on marriage in April,2009.The law was legally enforced on May1st, 2009, making Sweden the seventh country in the world which supported same sex marriage.
- ARGENTINA: The law was granted on July 22nd , 2010. By opening up to same sex marriage, Argentina became the first Latin American country and the tenth in the world to support the cause.
- BRAZIL: The Justice’s National Council of Brazil legalized same sex marriage in the country on May 14th,2013. The Supreme Federal Court gave the decision that notaries cannot continue to refuse to “perform a civil wedding or the conversion of a stable civil union into a marriage between people of the same sex.”
- UNITED KINGDOM: Gay marriage is legal in the UK,except in Northern Ireland. The status of same sex marriage varies in England and Wale,Scotland and Northern Ireland.
- USA: Youngest to join the list,US effectively legalized Gay marriage nationwide on June 26th , 2015.
For more, stay tuned to The Giztimes and follow us on Facebook, Twitter and Google Plus.